Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cross-Shaped Followers


The cross is ubiquitous, everywhere, almost over-used as jewelry, decoration, tatoo, bumper sticker, letter-head, fashion-statement. The cross on the altar this week is an ancient Ethiopiam processional cross of hammered silver. The conical base fit over a long pole which led the procession of priests carrying the Bible and maybe the eucharist into worship. The cross always leads, because the cross proclaims not only a person (Jesus Christ) but a life-style (crucified).
As I read through Mark 8:27-38, I realized how much I like to fashion the cross than I like the cross to fashion me. I put crosses in places I like, but I don't like crosses putting me in places i don't like. A cross-shaped life is not in control, but controlled, guided, directed and submitted. The fine print Jesus offers his disciples in following him is indeed tough, but the finer print (resurrection promise) is fine indeed!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss ya Bro. A Lot.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home