Monday, March 20, 2006

Jeremiah: the prophet of Exile


Because of network problems, I could not get this posted before Sunday, so this week it is an "after-market" reflection. The prophetic call and task are distilled in the altar-piece arrangement with the earthenware pot that symbolizes the life and ministry of jeremiah. During the woship service on Sunday March 19, I took a clay pot, like Jeremiah did, and let it crash to the chancel floor, shattering pieces dramatically across the chanel. The point was to illustrate, as Jeremiah did, that the coming exile does indeed shatter things. We talked about exile and how it means being where you never thought you'd ever be and not enjoying being there. We explored images of holocaust survivors, Transition House and Rescue Mission residents and a whole host of places in life that are "exiling" to us.
The good news from Jeremiah and from Jesus in John 10:12ff is that the Good Shepherd comes to our exiles and turns exilic deserts into pastures...because of the shepherd. And that was the cane/staff image. The shepherd comes to guide, resuce and protect us.
The question that the sermon raised in my heart is, how easily do I let god actually shepherd me? How "directable" am I to God's instructions. I'm a pretty fiercely independent person. I like being in charge and doing things my way, yet, I know I need a shepherd. I'd rather call God my advisor, consultant, mentor, but he's not: he is my shepherd. God must be in charge of me, not be relegated to peer status, and equal. So this image of shepherd haunts my egalatarian view of life because it reminds me that I need someone else in charge of my life than just me. I really need a shepherd....do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home